Monday, June 14, 2010

Katshka: Chapter One


                   Slipping into the trees I knew that the Santinela would follow me.  Having to break off our meetings was harder than I had imagined.  I loved Brigit.  She was sweet and careful to make sure she got everything recorded accurately.  A perfect Santinela.  I also knew she was a rule breaker.  She would follow her subjects, those she chose to chronicle closely.  She wanted the whole story.  Never letting the rules of the Consiliul get in the way of making sure fairness was happening. 
          Glancing at my surroundings I realized I had slipped into the very heart of the forest much quicker than I thought.  The tree guardians must have sensed my fear for they didn’t stop me or put blocks in my way. I was headed to the sacred stone in the middle of the forest. Normally only witches and vampires used the stone.  However, as Brigit could tell you, it isn’t reserved for them only.  Any creature, even humans, could commune with the stone.  It just wasn’t very comfortable if you weren’t human born as witches and vampires were.  For me this was a trip that had to happen or everything that mattered to me would be destroyed.
          The local Pride Leader hated humans.  I don’t know why, I just know that they are low on his list.  Since I was raised in a human household, having been abandoned by my parents, I was equal to them in his eyes, even though I was a full blooded cat shifter.  Tiger to be exact.  It wasn’t like he could deny that, but he could shun me because of where I was raised.  And right now, he was after my family and maybe the Santinela, although that would be war.
          Hearing a noise behind me I stopped.  Turning my head slightly I cocked it to the side and raised my nose.  Ahhh, the Santinela. I should have known she would follow.  Smiling to myself I realized in my heart I had hoped she would.  This was not something others often saw.  I was going to the Sacred Stone to ask for help with my future.  I was only hoping it could offer some.
          I turned back towards the forest.  As I got closer to the Sacred Circle, the barrier around the Sacred Stone the trees grew denser.  I stopped to look at the nearest tree and speak to the guardians.
          “Guardians of the forest, I ask of you, no I beg of you, please allow me passage into the Sacred Circle.  I fear for my life, my family’s lives and the Santinela.  Kiran is planning to wage war on humans and I need guidance to help save those I love.”
          “Shifter to Tiger, we hear your plea.  You are not the first shifter to come this way recently, worrying over Kiran and his plans.  We grant you entrance to the Sacred Circle and thereby the Sacred Stone.  We sense a follower, do you wish us to detain them?
          “No.  If you look carefully you will see that it is the Santinela.  She should be allowed passage to watch, record and take note.”
          “A Santinela?  We have not had one of those in the forest for a hundred plus years.  How wonderful Tiger Shifter, that you have a watcher.”
          Smiling Katshka bowed her head, knowing that the watcher had come closer and that the Guardians were watching from above.  Slowly the density melted away and the Sacred Circle was visible. Walking slowly towards it Katshka began her shift.  Imagining the tiger she was, white with bold black stripes she flowed into her form.  Crossing over the magic in the barrier made her shiver with power and she roared.  She could sense the Santinela, scribbling in her pad, and watching to see what the process was.  Moving closer to the stone in the center of the circle Katshka prowled.  She paced around the stone twice before seeing the glimmer she was looking for.  Moving towards it she placed her paw on the spot and felt herself fade into the stone.
          “Tiger, Katshaka, we welcome you to the center of power.  To the very essence of what has made you what you are.  How can we be of assistance?”
          The voices seemed to meld into one and reverberate around and through her.  “Majesties, I fear for the Santinela, for my family and for myself.  Karin, the local pride leader, is planning war on those who raised me, on me for being an outcast and on the Santinela for choosing my story over his.”
          “What is this?  We have heard this already this week, from another Tiger, one within the pride. He too was asking for help.”
          “Please, what is it that we must do to save those we love and salvage the pride from Karin?”
          “White Tiger Shifter, you must open your heart to the one who seeks to help from within.  Only together will the two of you be able to overcome the evil that seeks to unbalance the balance we have so carefully maintained.  Watch for him to come to you, be careful and keep the Santinela close.”

1 comment:

  1. Oh this is really good. You are a new author to me and I think I will go exploring on your website to find out more about you and what you write. I'll have to add this book to my TBR mountain of things waiting for me to put them into the book buying budget. So many for my pleasure and so little money to buy them. Thanks for sharing I will watch this blog closely in the future.

    Robin

    ReplyDelete